Saturday, August 10, 2013

Hem till Småland!

Klass 1 Varning! - August 8


I left my little refuge in the forest knowing that a larger storm was expected in the afternoon with heavy rain and lightning. So I tried to keep a quick and steady pace and managed to make great progress, passing Nyköping quickly and continuing past the famous zoo at Kolmården to Norrköping. About 20km outside of Norrköping I'd been looking forward to a scenic ride along the water near Bråviken, but by then the rain had really started falling so it was grey and dreary across the water. The road was struck out on a windy and narrow strip between the water and the steep hillside so I was surprised when suddenly I almost ran into a protest march coming through the rain. They were cheerful though, and were marching in support of rights for asylum seekers. At Norrköping the rain lessened, and it seemed as if the major storm that had been expected never quite showed up. Just outside of town I stopped to see some bronze age rock carvings at Herrebro. It was amazing how they were just a couple of meters away from some kind of workshop with only a little sign indicating where they were. I feel like if they had been in Iceland, they would have made a major tourist attraction. But they were cool to see nonetheless! Also they showed how landscape changes as they were originally made in the rock right at the shore of a larger lake, where now was dry land with some marshes. Continuing on I got a second wind and traffic also diminished. Crossing the famous Göta Kanal I knew I was also on the right track and ahead of schedule. I hadn't expected to be here until the following day, but I got so far ahead that I called my cousin to make sure she and her family were home and see if I could stop by. Despite being dirty and soggy wet, they welcomed me with open arms to their beautiful home just outside of Linköping, treating me to a hot shower, a delicious dinner and a comfortable warm bed to sleep in! Turned out to be a wonderful day, ahead of schedule, seeing loved ones, and falling asleep warm and dry!

Even had the pleasure of riding down my own private road today!
Soggy day by Bråviken

Rainy day on the way to Norrköping
Sluggishness at the bronze age rock carvings
Göta Kanal - Helping connect Göteborg to the Baltic Sea

Hem till Småland! - August 9


After a generous and substantial breakfast, and after getting some advice from my cousins husband Henrik on a route change, I took off a little later than expected. The storm had passed on so the sky was blue with a strong sun although the wind was in my face for the first 15km or so. Instead of continuing west towards Mjölby I turned south earlier towards Kisa which was expected to be calmer. I entered a beautiful rural landscape with small lakes, spots of forest and rolling fields and pastures. I had lunch by a sparkling blue lake in the shade of a tall evergreen and continued along a gravel road for quite a while before having to rejoin the main road into Kisa. After having gone about 40 miles I realised it was going to be a long day because it was still quite far to go, and the next two or three hours were tough but I managed through them trying to distract myself with thought exercises. The road kept creeping up and up which I'd expected because our home is up on Småländska höglandet, not terribly high but it meant plenty of uphill cycling without much respite and cruising down. Right at the border between Östergötland and Småland I stopped again for a meal, this time by the deep lake Västra Lagern and watched the sun slowly set behind the trees. I knew I had about 50km left still but the wind was gone, the heat of the day was dissipating and with the goal in sight my legs felt even stronger than before! Dusk in the north lasts almost forever, so it wasn't until Eksjö that it got really dark and where I was glad I had a strong set of lights. Turning off the road to Nässjö onto road 128 there was dark dense forest on either side and hardly any traffic so it was a bit spooky riding in the dark not unlike a tunnel. I did often hear some rustling in the woods so I knew the trolls were about! Rolling through Stensjön was a surreal feeling, arriving by bicycle to such a familiar place where I grew going to swimming school and biking to the local shop for an ice cream and to buy my parents the newspaper. I still hadn't reached home yet though, but the road was now extremely familiar and I knew every rise and every turn so I didn't really need the light. Turning off at Möcklamo the smells of fresh cut hay and manure were delightful! And suddenly… after 158km for the day, I'd arrived! I turned into the driveway for the last few meters but had forgotten about the deep gravel which stopped me in my tracks and right at the finish line I took a spill! I lay in the grass though for several minutes, glad to be home and enjoying the view of the twinkling stars above. The house was dark and empty but I quickly settled in and after a cold shower I climbed into bed for a well deserved rest. I'M HOME!! Hemma i Småland!

Terrific rest stop along the way - Tack för gästvänligheten!
Photo op with a fan :)
Cycling through the countryside of Östergötland

Best seat in the house for dinner

My shadow keeps me company on the climb up to Höglandet
Zooming homewards!



2 comments:

  1. Hey Thor! Good to see you on two wheels again. I thought of you last weekend when I got a flat tire 1/2 mile from my house. Somehow you got all the way around Iceland! haha Did I mention that we have the same exact bike? Also, it seems like you have a lot of good "inside" sources of information. What type of research did you do before hand? Where would you suggest for planning such a trip? Thanks for the stories and great pictures. I have one of your photos on my desktop at work. Watch out for overturned cars. Godspeed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS. are you getting by on English, or is another language necessary?

    ReplyDelete