Sunday, August 9, 2015

Paddling Säveån

Paddling Säveån 


Time for a mini-adventure! I'd already taken my SUP (stand up paddleboard) out a few times on local lakes both near Göteborg and in Småland, but now it was time to really make use of the portability of an inflatable board. I had read about some others having paddled canoes down Säveån, and given that I'd biked along the little river many times as it passes through Partille and Jonsered, I thought I'd try it out for myself!

With the board folded up in its backpack case and the paddle in hand, I walked off to the bus stop and took bus 519 towards Jonsered. I wasn't sure exactly where there'd be a good spot to launch the board, but having scoped out the map I took my chances at the högshall bus stop, the last one before entering Jonsered. Turns out I was in luck! It was right by a bridge which spanned some rougherish rapids, and downstream from them it was a lot calmer. There were a cow pasture along the shore so had to climb over the fence to get to the water. Having inflated the board and packed the bag and pump under the straps of the board, I set off. 
Over the fence, past the cows, to Säveån

Not the most beautiful of spots, but fine

The initial kilometer was a lot of fun, some smaller 'rapids' where my lack of balance was tested, and several twists and turns in the river. It then got a lot calmer though, and less exciting. On either side was mostly pastures or semi-dense forest with warehouses behind. There was also a lot more trash in the river than I'd expected. Tires, bicycles, plastic bags, and at one point even an entire submerged car! I did see some blue dragon flies, several common goldeneye ducks, but the only fish was what looked like a dead perch floating belly-up. As I passed through Partille, the only clue that I was there were the bridges, as it was really quiet down in the river. I passed a small boat with a family that had gone up the river for a swim, and soon started passing more little huts on the shore with boats docked. They were all quite run-down and it seemed like old grungy looking men lived there, some napping on mattresses with doors open while the radio was blasting. 




As I saw the smokestacks of Renova and Göteborg Energi, I knew I was approaching Göteborg. Passing through Gamlestaden, it was fun going under the bridges I'd crossed many times by bike when heading north, and watched people stepping in and out of trams as I quietly was gliding by. Soon the river widened quite a bit, and some passing boats made for a bit of fun as I rode across their wake! I soon saw Gasklockan, the famous cylindrical landmark in Göteborg, and then Skansen lejonet, an old fort trapped among the railroad tracks behind the station. As Säveån drained out into Göta älv, I could see the cranes and warehouses all along the harbour, sailboats cruising out towards the sea, and larger boats docked along my left. The wind was a bit rougher and some more waves but it was still quite easy going. I enjoyed passing under Götaälvbron bridge and "Läppstiftet", the iconic but in my opinion less than attractive high rise by lilla bommen in Göteborg. Turning around the corner around the Barken Viking hotel ship, I entered the little harbour along the opera and docked! Pulled my board out and packed it up again within minutes! I then joined all the tourists strolling along the dock and headed to Brunnsparken to take the tram home!
Götaälvbron!

Hotel Barken Viking

Back on land

Overall a fund little adventure. It took two and a half hours of continuous paddling (I had a time to keep otherwise I would have been more casual). Next time I'd bring drinking water and sunscreen. What really struck me though was how much garbage there was along the river. I'll have to see if Partille kommun is doing something about the trash, and if not, perhaps go back with a larger boat and try clearing some of the debris!

No comments:

Post a Comment