Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Velkomin heim!

Velkomin heim!


My cousin Davíð said to me today: Velkomin heim! How true, I´m home! 

Arrival

The trip went very well despite a slight delay into New York City, and I even got 3 or 4 hours of sleep on the flight, just the amount you need before the longest ride of your life!  My aunt collected me at the bus station in Reykjavík and after a nice relaxing breakfast with nýmjólk, a samloka and kleinur I set about to put my bicycle back together. It went faster than I expected, even though I had to improvise a screw holding the rear rack in place. It had gotten bent quite severely on the flight.

Tour of Reykjavík

I went off for a quick tour of the Kópavogur / Reykjavík area, saw the Icelandic beach life at Nauthólsvik, purchased some Salmon leather, and watched the tourists from 5! different cruise ships descend upon the city.  After a quick stop to visit another cousin at his Eyewear shop in Smáralind and to pick up some fuel for my camp stove I headed back to my Aunt´s.  After a wonderful evening of dinner, catching up with aunts and uncles, cousins, their children, it was time to pack up and get ready for tomorrow.
Nauthólsvík

My ride with Esja in the background

It should be noted also that the Reykjavík area has some wonderful bicycle paths, and lots of people who use them.  Everyone dressed for the worst case scenario weather too, with lots and lots of GoreTex.  

Friendly Cyclists in Kópavogur

Stage 1 of the tour

Tomorrow I intend to head towards Borgarnes, the first stage of hopefully a 3 day trip up to the West Fjords.  The big question amongst family was whether or not to take a bus through the tunnel at Hvalfjörður, but I´m looking forward to taking the longer scenic route.  I´m also going to be wearing the GPS that my friend Andy let me borrow, so hopefully I´ll be able to post my route as things start moving!

Víð sjáumst bráðum!


4 comments:

  1. Glad to see that you've arrived and that your bike is all together again! Thank you for posting pictures. Go Thor Go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woot! Keep the posts coming! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great to see the first set of piccies! How is life on the road? Hope you haven't needed to bust out the Gore-Tex. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is your friend Andy also Andy Andy? Very cool that you're getting to catch up with these cousins.

    ReplyDelete